Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, November 16, 2009

News!

I have some FANTASTIC non-wedding related news that I'm so happy about I want to share with everyone who will listen! lol

I got a job!!!

As I've mentioned before, I'm a student working on my Masters degree. Technically I'm a registered student at a BC university however I convinced the head of my department to let me come back to Oregon to complete the internship requirement of my degree program and write my final paper.

The economy sucks right now nationwide, but Oregon is seeing a pretty big piece of it. I read last week that Oregon is sixth in the nation in terms of unemployment percentage. Their unemployment rate of about 12% is about DOUBLE what it was this time last year. Because of this, I wanted to do my internship down in Oregon (where I was planning on returning after I completed my degree) so that I could get my foot in the door and hopefully getting a job more quickly/easily than if I returned in June with a degree and no prospects.

So, I'm doing my internship at a local social service agency. Part of my daily tasks is to search Craigslist for work that our clients may be eligible for. What this also means, however, is that I have an excuse to check the list on a daily basis for possibilities for me... and I found one!

I applied on a whim, and, THREE interviews later, they offered me the position! And they offered me the highest starting salary available! With FULL MEDICAL & DENTAL!

Having a job now, six months before I technically graduate, mean that I can use the rest of my student loan money to pay off my current debt (car and credit cards) and still have a full year to be putting away money to pay for my student loans! (Without having to pay car, credit card, and health insurance premiums, this should add up fast!). I'm SOOO excited! The only downfall is that it's a full time gig... and I still have to write my final paper for my degree... which means some serious time management over the next few months. But, I can do it. Just be forewarned that posts may be either a) few and far between or b) full of stress venting!

But still, SOO excited! I start in three weeks and I can't wait!

6 comments:

  1. Brittney, congrats that is amazing news! What great timing too! I'm interviewing for a few things and waiting back for an interview from an amazing place. Hope I can get it - seriously would help our loans and crazy London cost of living expenses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats so exciting! WOnderful news! Congrats! You can totally do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful....I'm very happy for you! Good luck....you'll do great! =)

    ReplyDelete