Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

To Have or Not To Have (Pt. 2)

A kid's table.

I never really thought we'd have a kid's table at the wedding. When I was younger I HATED sitting at the kid's table at family functions. I always wanted to be with the adults trying to participate in grownup conversations. Granted, I did end up sitting at the "kid's table" into my pre-teens, so these desires may have stemmed from that time period... for all I know, when I was 6 I may have loved it!

The question about whether or not to have a kid's table at the wedding stemmed from trying to put together a preliminary table assignment chart. Jacob suggested that I put his brother and his two kids with his boss, wife and two kids because the kids were all the same age and Jacob thought they would get along well. So, I did. However, as I thought about it more I started to wonder if this was, indeed, the best arrangement for the adults. This would leave three adults at a table full of kids under the age of 10... two of which are married. I don't really see the most lively, interesting conversation. I was thinking how Jacob's brother may be happier at a table with some other friends, and how Jacob's boss's wife may like to sit at a table with another grown up female! lol

We have probably enough kids to fill up one table (plus, they are kids/little, therefore I could probably squeeze a couple more of them at one table than I could adults). And they are all right around the same age (i.e. 4-8). However, I wonder if these kids would actually sit at the table, or if they would want to be with their parents. My thought was to put the kids table in a central area and have the parents' tables nearby, and to possibly purchase some cheap coloring/activity books at the Dollar Tree or something for the table, but, I'm just wondering.

For those of you who have already had your weddings, did you or did you not have a kid's table? If you did, how did it work? If you didn't, why not and did you wish you did?

For those of you still planning the reception, do you plan to have one? If you do, do you have any of my same fears?

I have never been to a wedding with a kid's table, so I don't have any knowledge base in this area, so thanks in advance for your input!

4 comments:

  1. The kids sat with their parents at our wedding... but we also didn't have a seating chart. So I don't know if that changes things.

    Maybe ask the parents to see what their preference is? (Or at least the parents who are your relatives?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A kid's table/activity area is a good idea. Maybe not during dinner though. After dinner it can be located in the back and loaded up with the activities. Some parents may want their kids to sit with them, in order to teach and or practice proper etiquette and manners. That and not to cause undo embarrassment when they spill their own, or someone else's juice all over the pretty white party clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a kids table, i covered it with brown paper, put crayons and a wedding activity book for coloring, fruit by the foot, granola bars, capri suns and sandwiches, they loved it! I few parents sat there too, but it was no biggy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a kids table with some fun activities on it and it went over really well. I don't think any of the kids sat there the whole time, but I do remember seeing quite a few adults having fun at the kids tables even without the kids there LOL!

    ReplyDelete