Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

To Have or Not to Have (Pt. 1)*

Table Assignments.

The Dilemma: Our reception venue is pretty small. The way I figure it, we can only fit about 12 round 8-person tables comfortably. Though, for the sake of not having to squish two tables on the dance floor, I'd really love to keep that number lower. As it stands right now we have 79 confirmed butts-in-seats, but 13 that are "maybe" (Ugh) or have not yet responded for various reasons. If all 13 show up that means we'd NEED the 12 tables, if only the 79 show we need 10 tables. My thought was too put in 11 tables to split the difference. However, 11 tables would still cut it pretty tight.

Imagine, if you will, a crowded movie theater. You get to the theater with your two friends and it's already packed! You see a spot for two, several singles, and a couple open spots with coats draped across them.... but not three open seats together. THIS is what I'm afraid will happen if I leave the seating open. If I had more room and could put in an extra few tables, I wouldn't worry about it.... but I can't. It just won't work (despite the fact that the reception hall originally told us that we could fit approximately 125 people in there... grumble, grumble).

I understand the cons of having assigned tables. More work for me, people may not get to sit with the EXACT person they want to (though, in my preliminary assignments I am being VERY conscious of who is sitting at which tables and making sure they know each other or have things in common), and it makes me look a bit controlling.. lol... but I just don't want "large" parties to be faced with having to split up and sit separately at several tables.

What do you all thing?





*This is the first of a two part (at least) series in which I ask opinions on the specifics dealing with the last three weeks (!!!!) of wedding planning! I already have my second question in mind... if I remember it tomorrow I'll post another. lol

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I think we're getting married the same day. Yikes. Anyway, I'm a big proponent of seating arrangements.

    For us, and this is probably true of many people, you have different groups of people, say work friends, or second cousins, who all want to sit together. But friends from college have taken up the last open table so then other groups split into awkward littler groups and sometime your favorite coworker, who is a lesbian, has to sit next to Great Uncle Bill who is a racist and a homophobe.

    You probably have a good idea who would like to sit together, who will get along with whom, etc. Drink a beer and mix and match your friends :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a fan of assigned seating, but in your case I think that it might work out better than if you didn't. But at the end of the day, if you don't do a seating chart I don't think it is going to "make or break" anything. So assess your workload and determine whether you have the time to devote to this project!

    ReplyDelete