Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

940 Days... In Review

Two years and seven months ago I was sick and tired of the life I was leading. I loved my job, but I felt like that was the only thing going anywhere for me and I needed a change. I made a leap and decided, on a whim to apply for a graduate school program in Canada. I had never heard of the school before, but discovered that it was the only one on the west coast that offered a Masters in Criminology... so I went for it.

Two years and FIVE months ago I met Jacob. Just prior to Christmas my going-nowhere relationship with my former partner ended with a screeching halt (did not make for an enjoyable Christmas season). But I was (and still am) a huge fan of the idea of "getting back on the horse", so, I made a risky move and posted a person ad online... to which Jacob responded and a week or so after Christmas we met in person for our first date.

Two years and TWO months I got my grad school acceptance letter and had to make a decision: put grad school on hold and test out this very new relationship, or pick up everything and move to Canada and try something to enhance myself. My mom and I decided to take a drive up to look at the school. I liked it. I called Jacob that night and told him that I was planning on going to school. I said that I didn't know what this meant for our relationship, but that I needed to do this for myself.

Two days later, Jacob had told his parents he was moving to Canada... scared the sh*t out of me! lol This was moving FAST and I still wasn't sure I was ready for it. But Jacob didn't seem worried, and him being so sure put me at ease (that's kind of been how our relationship has gone since the very beginning! lol).

One year and nine months ago we moved to Surrey, BC so that I could attend grad school at SFU in Burnaby. Jacob managed to telecommute to his job in Oregon and we lived together in BC for a year while I completed my coursework... then we moved back home to Oregon where I would complete my independent work.

Yesterday I completed my Masters degree with the presentation and submission of my final paper.

Jacob was not able to make the trip with me, but I still felt him there. He provided so much support for me over the last couple of years. He was so sure about our relationship and our future together that he took a fantastic risk to alter his life to be with me... and didn't once try to convince me to stay in Oregon, or, as just as easily could have been the case, said goodbye and part ways upon my move. He saw me through the entire thing, and I am so thankful, and grateful, for him. And, in 66 days this fantastic man, who was so sure about our future together after only 3 months, will become my husband.


My documents all ready for submission! Two years of work, finally coming to a close.

5 comments:

  1. That is so cool. That's why some people just know they met the right person. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing your Masters; that's a big deal. And you're lucky to have found such a great man. That wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! Very neat story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on everything in this post, Brit!!! Way to take a leap and land with a bounce in your step :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story. That's a amazing how he supported you by moving with you. Must feel extra bittersweet to be finishing college, when the college became sort of a symbol for how strong your relationship was/is.

    But it's not all sad, cause you do get to spend the rest of your life with him :D

    ReplyDelete