Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rah Roh!

I was at work the other day scanning through the "jobs" ads on Craigslist (this is part of my JOB, I swear! lol) and I came across this post:

General Manager of Hotel

Date: 2010-05-25, 8:34AM

Seeking a self motivated individual or couple for a manager position for a beautiful 80 unit hotel overlooking Alsea Bay in Waldport, Oregon. The view is breath-taking and the hotel has its own private beach, pool and exercise facility.

Candidate may live off-site or in a free one bedroom apartment at the hotel. Must be in good physical shape as managers also need to do some of the housekeeping and maintenance duties. Ideal candidate will have previous hotel management experience and skills in bookkeeping, computers (Microsoft Office and comfort with online systems), repair, grounds keeping, supervision, and dealing with the public. Sales and Marketing is an important part of this position – candidate must be willing to do cold calling, telemarketing and email marketing campaigns.
Substance abusers and those with a criminal record need not apply. Reference, credit and criminal checks will be done. Starting date is ASAP.

The job is year round with two weeks paid vacation – candidate must have a very flexible schedule (ability to work mornings, evenings and weekends on rotation is a must). Pay depends upon skills and hours worked. The hotel is open from 8:30am to 8pm except during the slow season when we close at 6pm.

Please reply to this posting with cover letter, resume and reference list attached.

No, I am not looking for a new career path... what struck me about this ad was that it is a manager for OUR RECEPTION VENUE! I e-mailed our coordinator (i.e. GENERAL MANAGER) to check in about this, and, sure enough, the woman that we have been working with for the last 7 months is leaving--her last day in June 1st! Apparently she "was going to e-mail" me yesterday, but I beat her to it. =P

Now, I'm not particularly concerned about it at this point. She has an assistant that she gave me contact info for, and I have our most recent proposal signed and in writing. However, I am slightly concerned about what COULD happen (I'm a worrier like that). We've already had some issues with the reception site (they are "remodeling" the hotel and I'm not quite sure what it's going to look like when they are done, and no one at the hotel even seems to know, and the last woman kept changing prices on us... thus my STRONG desire to get EVERYTHING in writing), and I just worry that now throwing a whole new person into the mix may cause (me) more stress.

But, at this point, it's just a wait and see. Who knows, maybe the new (temporary?) contact I have will be more Type A (like me) and it will actually be a smoother process. Hmm... only time will tell... and there's not much time left!! (79 days!)



**P.S. The title of this post is the exact response that Jacob had when I forwarded him the CL post! lol

3 comments:

  1. I'm hoping for the best for you. Maybe you'll end up with an awesome new coordinator that will make your wedding day a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. Hopefully it turns out to be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh. I'd be freaked. Glad you're getting everything in writing.

    ReplyDelete