Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mom's Dress..... and Dad's Guayabera?

Went "home" this weekend to take my mom shopping for HER wedding day dress. My mother is NOT a) a dress person and b) a shopper so I knew right off the bat it was going to be "fun". lol

We started the day by having brunch with a couple of my bridesmaids and then headed over to David's Bridal to try on dresses. My mother did not want a dress that showed "too much" cleavage (this equated to anything with a V-neck), did not want to wear something that wasn't "age appropriate" (which meant she didn't want to look slutty or like she was pretending to be 20 again), and needed something long to cover her "ugly leg". My only requirement was that I really didn't want her to get a "mother of the bride" dress... I wanted her to look GOOD, not like some ol' fuddy duddy.

I started pulling dress after dress off the rack... anything that was long and not strictly strapless (another of her requirements). Mom huffed and puffed a little, but tried them all on for me. Finally, when were just about out of choices, she found THE DRESS. She ordered it in "Sangria" and plans to add spaghetti straps and wear a matching chiffon wrap. I approve. =)



As did my dad, who then decided he needed to find something to wear. My dad is one of those 50-something guys you see wandering around town in one of many Hawaiian shirts that adorn his closet (you know the guys I'm talking about!). I was joking with him that I need to find him a fancy Hawaiian shirt for the wedding... apparently he had other ideas.

He wants to wear a Guayabera... No idea what this is? Yeah... me either! It's some kind of traditional tropical wedding garb. He got a bit excited when he found this website where you can order them with custom colored embroidery. He wants to get an ivory shirt with purple stitching so he matches my mom. I'm fine with it... it kind of suits him.

What do you guys think? He reads this blog so I'm sure he'd love your comments! =)

7 comments:

  1. I think the Guayabera would be great for your dad, especially since he likes you wear Hawaiian shirts. I think it goes great with your beach wedding.

    Hi Brittney's Dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that he is so into what he is going to wear! And that he has his own unique ideas! Love it! Go for it Brittney's dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted all the guys at our wedding to wear guayaberas, but my groom was all, eh, what are we, 80-yr-old cuban men?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them both! They'll look great! Great color! My friend Scotty wore a guayabera for his causal beach wedding in Florida a couple years ago, I think they're very appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a great idea! And I think it's very cute that he wants to match your mom. They're going to look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But should the embroidery match mom's dress, or be more in line with the wedding colors?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete