Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2009

Modern Bride

I bought my *first* bridal magazine today... I'm under the impression that it's some kind of right of passage or something... so I did it. I was at the grocery store trying to somewhat stock my kitchen (as I've been out of town for 2 weeks and everything in my fridge is moldy... including fake crab meat... I found that odd), and I saw two bridal magazines at the check out. I had NO idea which one to get, so, being the budget minded woman I am, I bought the cheap one! lol The Aug/Sept issue of Modern Bride.

I flipped through it and I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. There were a few cool things/ideas in there (which I'll share at the end of this post) but, for the most part I was not overly impressed. And, is it a bad sign that I only found a couple dresses that I 'liked' and none that I LOVED?

I have noticed that, as far as the wedding planning/dreaming process has gone, I've thought about EVERYTHING except "The Dress"... I'm wondering what that means. A couple people have asked me style of dress I want... I have very little idea... and, for the most part, I don't even know the NAMES for the styles! lol I know the "mermaid" and I know I DON'T want that... and I don't want anything TOO poofy... but that's about as far as my descriptive talents go in this area. I was hoping the magazine would help me out a bit... not so much. What's a good magazine to get to peruse dress styles?



** Here are some of the items/ideas that I found in the magazine that I DID like though... =)


The "XShot". I am FOREVER taking arm-extended self portraits... this would be FANTASTIC for the honeymoon! lol


Personalized M & Ms! I hadn't really put that much thought into wedding favors. I think the personalized matchbook covers/napkins are kinda a waste of money, and, up until this point I figured we wouldn't have favors, but I think this is sooo cute! Maybe just but a bunch and put a bowl of them on each table or something! =)


David's Bridal, style F13408. I really want to put my bridesmaids in a dress that they will wear again. I don't want them to pay a bunch of money for a hideous dress that's going to goodwill the next time they clean out their closet. So, I want my bridesmaids dressed in dressed that don't look like bridesmaids dresses! lol Plus, I want something short and cute. I like this one! Except for my MOH... I think I might put her in something more like this:

** Love you Josie! lol

Jessica McClintock gown, style 21194 Celine. This looked better on pg. 89 of the magazine, but this was the only shot I could find of it online. So, I would probably never wear this dress, but it DID catch my attention... and then I saw it was only $238 and that grabbed it more! =)


Private Label by G, Style 1370... so I really like this dress... I'm sure I wouldn't like the price tag though...

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't even worry about buying more bridal magazines in terms of looking for dresses. The best way is to just go and try some on! That's what I did, and if it makes you feel any better it took me ages to find a dress that I loved. Looking at styles in magazines usually doesn't help because the ones that catch your eye are usually impossible to find and way out of price range. I love reading about your planning process though! I am sure you will find a perfect dress for your big day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Pretty pretty please don't make me wear that fluffy yellow dress!!!! I beg of you!!! lol. I do like the blue one though.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that canary dress for you Josie... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh out loud since Jacob used the term "canary" instead of "yellow"! A little wrapped up in wedding planning???? :) Anyway... I love the blue dress! Too cute! And most definitely able to wear again! Can't wait to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally love the blue bridesmaid dress. You'll have a very stylish wedding party... especially with the juxtaposition between the modern and the canary poof ;-)

    ReplyDelete