Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

In Limbo

I don't know what my name is.

Well... I do... sort of. Legally I share my last name with Jacob, however not all of my documents have been changed to reflect this. And all of my work logins, e-mails, etc. are still my old name. I'm kind of feeling this weird internal conflict... and it takes a LOT of brain power to sign my name as I have to think about which name I need to sign for which situation.

***

I waited to start the name change process until after we got back from the honeymoon, as I knew that I wouldn't be able to get an updated passport in time for our international journey. So, last week I hit the Social Security Administration and the DMV to start the process. It was a pain... the DMV more than the SSA... but a pain none the less*

Awhile ago I won a giveaway for MissNowMrs, a web service that allows you to fill in all of your info and then they auto-populate "all" the forms that you'll need to change your name with various organizations. After going through the process, I wasn't overly excited about it... and was kind of glad that I didn't blow the $30 and actually pay for it myself. I mean, it wasn't BAD, but you had to enter the same information over and over again for each form, so I really didn't feel like it saved you any time, and so far the places that I've tried to turn the forms into have just give me a new form to fill out anyway. On a positive note, the service was helpful in assisting me with identifying all the various places where I may need to send letters/copies of my certified marriage certificate, but I'm sure most wedding books/websites will have similar lists available. So, in the end, I suggest just skipping it and doing the leg work... as you're going to need to do it anyhow.

My next step is the bank and then ordering new checks, then my passport--which means I have to worry about taking another good picture**. This whole thing is quite the process! I would love to hear others' name change horror stores! =)


* I stood in line for an hour (physically in line... no number draw) only to find out that I didn't have proof of my SSN and had to go home to get it. Why do I need this? They are just replacing my card? I had my DL and my passport and I am IN THE SYSTEM... but no, they needed my social security card. So, I had to run home, get that, and then go BACK to the DMV. At least I had a "pass" to get to the front of the line!

**After trying SOO hard to look presentable for my new driver's license photo, which I was going to have to live with for the next 8 years, I turned out looking stoned. Bah.

No comments:

Post a Comment